Saturday, May 1, 2010

Awareness Month

Reading through websites and blogs today, I realized that May is National Celiac Awareness Month, as well as National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month. I know that it seems that we've been inundated with awareness months - or days for that matter. Sometimes to the point of being detrimental. However, it does provide an opportunity to learn more about something you didn't know about, or have finally been introduced (be-it a diagnosis of your own, a family member, or friend).

Over the past 15 months, our household has been filled with learning, adjusting, and educating. I have had to learn to change my thought processes about food entirely, and I'm learning to cook completely different also. In addition to going through the 7 stages of grief (which I still go through often), I am learning to understand  what my diagnosis of food intolerances means for me, as well as those in my life: be it by choice, familial ties, or by accident. It's hard enough to cope and make adjustments when you're following a diet. But when you add in the component that eating something will make you sick, then things change a little. I have struggled with the fact that I am different than many of the people around me, and this will make things harder to deal with than in the past - such as family functions, lunch with co-workers, receptions, events, traveling, being able to be spontaneous, etc. But I have finally come to terms that this isn't a life sentence, but a new lease on life with lots of adventure, learning, and great food.

I can honestly say that my life has changed, for the better, during these past 15 months. And I just want to share and make you "aware" of how things are for those of us with food intolerances or allergies - to help answer the "what can you eat?" question, help expand the understanding (because I get a lot of questions), as well as bring you into my world, so to speak, and discover all the feelings of guilt, frustration, acceptance, but most importantly pleasure that I go through. Living a GFCFSF lifestyle by no means eating foods that taste like cardboard, or feeling deprived... it's just the opposite.

During the next 30 days, I will post something new that will give you a perspective into the life of someone who has food allergies, or intolerances - a recipe, product review, tip, etc. So welcome.... To Gluten, Casein, and Soy Intolerance Awareness Month where even chocolate chip cookies and pizza are still on the menu.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Makings of a Family | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL